Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Trading the Mic for the Clip Board

This is one of those unusual entries for me. In my other life, I manage a team for a manufacturing company of about 27 individuals. One of them today, hearing that I had recently gotten married, asked me for help in planning his wedding.

Knowing that, as his manager, I shouldn't DJ his wedding reception, I can at least open up my 18 years of experience for him, and offer my resources to him. I'm sending him an email this evening with the steps that follow: 1. buy ring 2. ask 3. set date

I know that I've got way too much experience around these events, so it's time to stop hoarding and share. My tips will be as follows:

1. Even though the date is set, be ready to compromise to get the venue you want.
2. Be prepared to budget for the purchase of every wedding magazine up until 3 months before your event.
3. Even though you think you know your wedding colors, go to a paint store, and get swatches from their wall of colors....at least then you can hand your color over, and not try to describe it.
4. Designate a room of your house as the "planning and storage room" because your bride to be will start collecting decorations, favors, pictures and ideas (if she hasn't already.)
5. Don't fight about the details, there will be enough to argue about when it comes time to pay for everything.

Until later, stay strong brothers (and future married couples)

Mr. Plaid.

No comments: