Wednesday, March 26, 2008

You DJ'd Under Where???

I was reminded today of an event I worked a few years ago. I went to a home in the Los Angeles area to DJ a going away/graduation party.
The party was for the client's daughter who was going away to a design school of some kind across the country. I had very little background on the event other than the address and the clients' name.
Disclaimer: As a DJ/Bodyguard, the way to act /being professional includes being unimpressed with celebrities. It has to be no big deal, and just treat them as a good friend.
Well, this philosophy came true on this day. As I loaded in, I saw strange creatures framed on the wall, and western paraphernalia mounted and displayed. Not much of it was immediately recognizable, so I asked (it probably made me look less impressed.) The client's wife told me that all of the items in the pool house (a.k.a. party room) were from "Ron's Movies".
So I put it together. Ron Underwood. Director. Tremors. City Slickers. The Adventures of Pluto Nash. Hmmm. That explained, at least, the cowboy gear and the worm looking thing on the wall. The party consisted of a lot of pool activities and a lot of fun party music. It's true, famous people like the basic party tunes too!
The truth about the Underwoods: They're great people, with a great family, and they've got excellent taste in DJs. My other comments about them would include modest, considerate, and that I'd work for them again if they had a wedding in the family. (I hope they find this in time.)
Moral of the story: treating people like people is usually the best policy, but treating celebrities like people, can make people feel normal and at ease. Putting up a front for people is fine, if that's what you want them to see. When I DJ, I'm not just providing a good time, but a little bit of personality. I want my clients to think of me positively, but not specifically for anything other than a successful event.

Thanks for stopping in,
Mr. Plaid

No comments: